Sunday, October 17, 2010

Images of Masculinity





I made a voicethread using the first ten images that came up when I did an image search for "masculinity". I was surprised by the range of images I found. Though some of the images suggested a sense of ambiguity about the idea of masculinity, most of the upheld traditional notions of strength and portrayed an unrealistic ideal of the male body.
One thing that stood out to me was the prevalence of homoerotic imagery in my search. Many of the images I found objectified the male body and drew attention to the penis in ways that heterosexual images of men tend to avoid doing. Also, two out of the ten images I looked at defined masculinity in relationship to a woman, rather than something that exists outside of a gender binary.

No comments:

Post a Comment